What can shoppers do to get the most out of Small Business Saturday?
- Start planning early. Small Business Saturday falls conveniently between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. So, in order to get the most out of your day, it is essential to plan what items you will be shopping for all three days.
- As a shopper, Small Business Saturday is the perfect day to search for those unique, local, or handmade items to gift during the holiday season. While Black Friday and Cyber Monday are perfect for that low-priced television, those aren’t the deals to be searching for on Small Business Saturday. Look for that unique sweater, small painting, or handmade candle that you can’t find anywhere else.
- As you begin to decide what types of items you will be shopping for on Small Business Saturday, start creating a list of exactly what you need. By creating list, it is much easier to stay on track as well as discourage those last minute impulse purchases.
- Once you have created your list, American Express has created an interactive map to help shoppers identify all the small businesses that will be participating in Small Business Saturday. This is perfect for creating your day-of plan.
- Do your research. Visit the social media pages and websites of the stores near you. This way you will be able to identify all of the promotions each store will be having. Also, if you are unfamiliar with any of the stores on the list, this is a great time to identify what products they are selling that correspond with your shopping list. Note the timing of the promotions that you are interested in. This can help when deciding which stores to go to first thing in the morning and towards the end of the day.
- After doing your research and comparing the discounts provided with the items on your shopping list, consider checking the stores in your surrounding areas. It is great to do this as a back-up plan if you have items on your list that have not been purchased. It is possible that the items you were counting on were one-of-a-kind, so having back-up stores are perfect for that, “where do I go now?” moment.
- Overall, HAVE FUN! Share your favorite small businesses on social media to help spread the word. Take friends with you on your shopping trip, they are sure to find items that stand out from your regular big box retailers and at the end of the day, visit your favorite local restaurant for dinner. By supporting small businesses, you are not only supporting the local economy but creating awareness for small businesses everywhere.
Want to learn how to make the perfect holiday bows? Click here!